Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Visit to Cowgirl Creamery

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I recently spent my honeymoon in lovely California. The hubby and I camped in an Airstream in Forestville. We made day trips to explore the breathtaking sights and sample the local fare. I love visiting little towns, the food is farm to table and the people are friendly. Naturally, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to visit the nice folks at Cowgirl Creamery.

We drove along the coast to visit the Point Reyes shop. This location is where Cowgirl Creamery began. The building was once a working hay barn and was lovingly restored to the cheese room and kitchen it is today. The kitchen, or the "Cowgirl Cantina", features a mac and cheese made with Red Hawk and Wagon Wheel, and believe me, this dish alone is worth the trip! We met with Michael for a private tour and tasting. I was surprised to learn what makes Red Hawk so exceptional.



There is a special b-linen bacteria that occurs naturally in Point Reyes, making this spot exclusive to Red Hawk production. What I didn't know is that the award winning Red Hawk was discovered by accident. They were able to cultivate those ambient bacteria by washing the rind of their Mt. Tam, and letting the bacteria develop on its own. Thus, a beautiful washed rind triple cream was born.



Additionally, the Cowgirl Creamery has a very close relationship with their dairy farmers as well as those that sell their products. They pride themselves in being persnickety and pay careful attention to detail and quality. You can certainly taste it in their cheeses. I consider myself very lucky to be able to share their cheese with you!


No comments:


Cows in Repose on Veldhuizen Family Farm. Dublin, TX