Friday, September 13, 2013

Texas Gold Peach Pies

Texas Gold Peach Pies

With Fall around the corner, it's time I do something with the Summer peach harvest I have been hoarding in my freezer. Who doesn't love a handmade, mini pie? English and Texans alike, believe pie is better with some melted, bubbly cheddar on top. My other secret weapon is adding some fresh lemon or orange zest to my filling, to add brightness. *When it comes to pie dough, I have to admit Martha's pate brisee has never done me wrong. If you're pressed for time the store bought, roll out kind is great too. Personally, I will not touch pie if it's not ala mode. This Summer I discovered you can throw some Bellwether yogurt in the freezer and boom: rich, creamy frozen yogurt!

*Pie pastry
1 tablespoon all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or orange zest
2 ripe peaches, skins peeled and chopped
1 handful of golden raspberries
Lucky Layla Golden Butter, cold
4oz Texas Gold Cheddar, shredded
1 cup Bellwether Vanilla Yogurt, frozen

Heat oven to 375. Dust surface with flour to roll out pie dough. Using a 4 inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out 6 circles. Place circles in a standard muffin tin, gently pressing to the edges. Reserve extra pie pastry for a heart or lattice to top mini pies with. For filling, combine 1 tablespoon flour, sugar, zest, peaches and raspberries. Divide filling evenly, top each pie with a few tiny slivers of cold butter, remaining pie pastry of desired shape and lastly, a generous pinch of cheddar. Bake for about 25 minutes, until tops are golden and fruit filling is bubbly. Serve warm pies with frozen Bellwether yogurt.

Yields 6 mini pies

No comments:


Cows in Repose on Veldhuizen Family Farm. Dublin, TX