Friday, June 20, 2014

Purple Potato & Pecorino Torte

Purple Potato & Pecorino Torte

You may have noticed that your Utility Research Garden farm share has been pretty heavy lately. Make your way through the gorgeous Summer greens and in the bottom of the bag you will find a lot of purple potatoes and onions. And I do mean a lot. I made 5 jars of onion jam and I still didn't put a dent in the mountain of onions. The purple potatoes have been turned into purple gnocchi, purple gratins and purple potato chips. So, like I said, a lot. I'll stop complaining about my first world problems and tell you about this pretty purple Torte I made. I carefully layered all the delicious local veggies I could get my hands on and topped each layer with grated Pecorino Toscano. This Torte is a verdant kaleidoscope and it does what a Summer dish is supposed to: tastes good, but protects the waistline. More purple recipes to follow.  

Lucky Layla Golden Butter
1 lb purple potatoes, not peeled, sliced thin
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, chopped
4 red onions, sliced thin 
1/2 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
1/4 lb Pecorino Toscano, grated
1 tablespoon fresh herbs of your liking, chopped (I used basil and thyme from my garden)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Terra Verde Estate Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
green onions, for garnish

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 and butter a 9 inch cake pan. Saute onion and leeks in butter until fragrant and translucent. Add kale in the same pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside. Use a mandolin to slice potatoes. Layer potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Top with 1/2 of kale/onion mixture. Drizzle with a little evoo, top with grated Pecorino and season with salt, pepper and herbs. Repeat layers in this order (potato, kale, cheese, potato) so you'll have 2 layers of kale and 3 layers of potato. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer. Cut into wedges and garnish with green onions.

No comments:


Cows in Repose on Veldhuizen Family Farm. Dublin, TX