Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Vegetarian Lentil Tacos with Marieke Cumin Gouda

Vegetarian Lentil Tacos with Marieke Cumin Gouda

Okay, it's confession time. I admit that I'm a recovering vegetarian. I also admit that I have an unhealthy relationship with tacos. A good taco can literally improve my mood. I have been known to devour them in my car, alone, while driving. These tacos will hopefully leave you feeling good, rather than ashamed.

Lentils are a super food. They are healthy, delicious and my husband tolerates them. The earthy nuttiness of lentils pairs perfectly with Marieke Cumin Gouda and some fresh cilantro. My record is 4 in a row!

For lentils:
1 cup dry green lentils
4 cups water
garlic powder
Mexican oregano
thyme

Stella Sola Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
1 package frozen Boca Veggie Crumbles 
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
chili powder, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz Marieke Cumin Gouda, shredded
1 bunch fresh cilantro
8 - 10 flour tortillas

Directions:
Bring lentils, a dash of each spice and water to a simmer in a medium pot and cook for 20 - 30 minutes, until done. While lentils are cooking, coat a large skillet over medium-high heat with evoo, cook carrots and green peper until tender. Add Boca Veggie Crumbles, garlic, salt, pepper and chili powder and cook until crumbles are heated through. Combine lentils with Boca mixture so the ratio is even. Warm tortillas. Top Boca and lentils with cheese and cilantro.

Yields 4 servings

No comments:


Cows in Repose on Veldhuizen Family Farm. Dublin, TX