Friday, October 18, 2013

Tempura Pickles

Tempura Pickles

The last time I made fried pickles, they were so popular, I decided to re-visit this illustrious, salty treat. My "classic" fried pickle recipe post has 176 views to date, but who's counting? And I thought my mom was the only one reading my recipes.

I just can't believe I didn't think of tempura pickles sooner! I used Pogue Mahone's Ginger Habanero pickle chips and Sapporo for the tempura batter. Serve with sriracha + ranch = srirancha. The use of this condiment in our house borders on obsessive.

1 1/4 cup flour
12 oz light beer
1 teaspoon kosher salt
16 oz jar Pogue Mahone Ginger Habanero Pickles
Canola oil

Directions:
Pour oil in a large heavy pot to a depth of at least 2", heat to 375. While oil comes to temp, prepare batter: whisk flour, salt and beer until smooth. Pat pickle chips dry with a paper towel. Working in batches, coat pickles in batter and fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Serve after pickles have cooled for a bit, as they will be very hot coming out of the oil and then you'll burn the roof of your mouth and your weekend will be ruined.

No comments:


Cows in Repose on Veldhuizen Family Farm. Dublin, TX